Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Best on the Planet?

I was reading an older review of EnGarde at linux.com and it was an overall positive review. Supporting this, EnGarde has received many accolades and awards which EnGarde proudly posts on their website. EnGarde has a web interface configuration tool aptly called WebTool which is something I am interested in.

Another potential software solution getting good reviews is Untangle.Carlos Echenique over at PlanetX64 at the end of his review stated:

Price, performance, features, support and a killer interface all come together to produce a near perfect product. Ongoing development and a support team that listens to the needs of their customers makes the Untangle Platform your best bet for securing your network.

Scores:

Features: 4.95 out of 5
Interface: 5 out of 5
Performance & Support: 5 out of 5
Pricing: 5 out of 5
Total Score: 19.95 out of 20

PlanetX64 proudly awards Untangle Platform the Best on the Planet.

I had decided to take Annvix off the consideration list. Based on a review at linux.com and reviewing the on-line documentation. I do not think this would be the best first introduction to setting up and managing a server. I think I will require a little more hand holding than Annvix can give me based on my lack of knowledge.

Contenders still in the running:

VoIP

I have decided to choose PBX In A Flash as my VoIP solution. The Poor Man's Tech blog had a follow up post on PBX In A Flash vs. Trixbox and it gave several compelling reason to make a switch from Trixbox CE (which I use at work) to PBX In A Flash. I have been wanting to try this new asterisk based solution out and this seem like a great time to take the plunge.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Use SME Server.
It's a No Brainer to use, secure, flexible.

Been running it since 7.1 and it is now at 7.3 since Jan 2008.

Running on a Dell SC440 with 3GB of RAM and using it as an All in one Server for a Small Health Care Business.

By All in One I mean:

- Domain PDC
- File Server
- Mail Server (+Horde/RoundCube)
- Web Server
- VPN Server

Works very nice and fast too. I have yet to suffer a hiccup in the 2 years I have used it.